View Single Post
Old
10-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin401 View Post
All due respect that would never happen. Lucic is heads and shoulders above Komi in terms of fighting

No one said he had to fight in the most crucial spot in the game. Guys like Iginla and Phaneuf fight, what?, 8 times a year. Find a few times a year when the game is pretty much decided and send a message. Even if he's in the box for 5 minutes at a mildly important spot in the game, then he misses, perhaps 2 shifts!?!? The "we cant afford to have him in the box" argument is one of the most wildly overrated in all of hockey IMO. The fact is, he's not going to be getting into fights in overtime or something where his presence is indispensable for 5 minutes.
You don't fight just for the fun of it, you fight to send a message. Komisarek fought 5 times last season, more than Chara and a lot of other physical defensemen in the league. All of the to send a message, change momentum. What I find annoying is that the Bruins fans want Komisarek to fight Lucic (a young third line player who only fought as much as he did last season to prove himself and I'm willing to wager that he won't fight nearly as much this season). The thing is the way the Habs play the Bruins, there is no message to send, there is no need to shift momentum. Of the last 9 regular season games between the two teams, we scored the first two goals 7 times. Fighting will only bring momentum to the other team. Chara plays physical and he only fought 4 times last season. There is a distinct pattern when he fights, the Bruins aren't winning. I'm sure this is the case when Iggy and Phaneuf fight as well.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote