View Single Post
Old
10-23-2008, 12:34 PM

vCash: 500
Lapierre reminds me of Kesler

Maxim Lapierre used to get under my skin but so far this year he has been impressing.

He reminds me a lot of Ryan Kesler, of the Vancouver Canucks. They have a lot of similarities in their game.

I believe they are both really really fast right-handed centerman. Before Kesler exploded last season with 21 goals, he was mostly regarded as a guy that wasn't that good defensively, didn't play the PK much, wasn't great on faceoffs, didn't have much playmaking ability and was a shoot-first energy type of player. He was a grinder with a mean streak.

This description fits Lapierre well, and it seems as though Lapierre has improved defensively as well as in the faceoff dot, and I think his work on the PK has been amazing thus far.

I'd like to see Lapierre keep up what he's doing so far, and once he's got the defensive play down, who else thinks Lappy could score 15-20 goals for the Habs in a 3rd-line role, sorta like what Ryan Kesler is doing right now for the Nucks?

Because let's face it, with Lapierre's up-tempo style of play, speed and intensity, if he had a good shot and any sort of hockey sense, and the necessary ice time, he could score a lot of goals.

I know some like to compare him to Mike Fisher from the Ottawa Senators, but in my book Fisher is a much better playmaker, has better on-ice vision, and is MUCH better in his own zone than Lapierre as of right now.

Will Lapierre ever improve offensively?

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote