View Single Post
Old
10-23-2008, 02:33 PM
LyleOdelein

vCash: 500
I think that people are misunderstanding the OP's point here. He was not saying that Lapierre is as good as Kesler is now, but that Lapierre's style and progress as a player reminds him of Kesler 2 seasons ago, when he was still hashing out his game and finding his role on the Canucks.

I don't think it's possible to deny that they play a similar style of pest hockey. Lapierre's unquestionably less talented than Kesler, but it's not like the OP was comparing him to Ovechkin. I would say that Lapierre is about 1.5-2 years behind Kesler in progression, and I wouldn't be too surprised to see him put up numbers similar to Kesler's last season stats in a season or two.

Lapierre's last game was a great indicator of where he is in development. He was a definite factor against the Panthers, using his speed to create counter chances and annoying the Panthers' D and goalie. However, late in the game, he had a mental lapse and took a dumb penalty. There was a lot of good I saw in his game, but one, absolutely terrible mistake. As long as Lapierre can start to weed out taking bad penalties like that holding the stick call, he will be a valuable checking forward and agitator for this team this year.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote