View Single Post
Old
10-25-2008, 12:11 AM
Hobey Baker

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
+/- is such a horrible stat to begin with, so the fact that he's a -2 doesn't bother me if observers (like you) say his defensive game is fairly solid (and we know his offensive game is). Thanks for the update.
I'll meet ya halfway regarding plus minus being a horrible stat in juniors because it usually tells a compelling story for defensemen. Last season, T.J. Brennan earned every bit of that deep "minus" by not thinking the defensive game. He's clearly turned his game around in that capacity, and it shows in the + column. On the flip side, Matt Generous was every bit as good as his "plus" rating suggests, and SLU suffered when he was hurt. I won't use Gragnani as an example because last season should be a mulligan for any rookie taking part in that steamy mess on Rochester.

To your point though, it does get cloudy when rating CHL forwards. Hi, Dylan Hunter.

Regarding the consensus that Adam is a defensive foward, I've never gotten that vibe. He's good in that end no doubt, but I think that's just the Newfie in him. For the past two years, he's been a guy who taps his stick on the ice every shift looking for the puck; a guy who buries chances down low with regularity. In most interviews, he says he has a passion for scoring goals. That's an offensive player, not a defensive one.

I know you asked 57 BGM, but I think a developing comparable might be a higher-end Knuble. Similar in that they're both big, hard to bump off the puck/use their body and reach to protect it, and can score in bundles. Adam might be able to do a little more by himself. There are probably better ones to go by, but that's what I'm thinking at 1:10 AM.