View Single Post
Old
10-25-2008, 06:05 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM67 View Post
Read as led in goals scored three times, that I believe he did do.
That is correct, although Mikhailov tied with two other players (Yakushev and xxxxxxx) for the goalscoring lead in 75-76 and was so far behind in assists that his offensive output is hardly comparable. This was the one down season during Mikhailov's long peak - he finished 11th in MVP voting.

It is important to remember that the Soviet League did not count second assists in this era, which means that the points crown (at least for the playmakers) has even more weight than it would in the NHL. Focusing on goal-scoring titles in the Soviet League would introduce an even further distortion away from playmakers (relative to NHL stats) than the already pronounced distortion of not counting the second assist. With that in mind, I consider counting goal-scoring titles in the Soviet League as anything close to equal value with points titles (especially for CSKA players) rather inappropriate. At any rate, Mikhailov wasn't much of a playmaker for the first 2/3rds of his peak. He first totaled more than 15 primary assists in a season in 76-77, at the age of 32.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote