View Single Post
Old
07-06-2004, 10:42 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Crosby
Ola: What do you think Tyutin's upside is? And can you please do an 'upside', 'downside' for all your top ten prospects?
I donīt think Tyutin has the upside of a franchise defensemen. I think that its reasonable to expect him to turn into a defensemen in the Mattias Ohlund mold.

Lundqvist is a great athlete and has a very sound technique. He is the player who Iīve seen the most of all Ranger prospects but its really hard to put a upside/downside on him. I would say that his upside is that he has proven that he can handle the pressure of a WC and that he has no problem with the pace in international games. He has great attitude and all defensemen loves playing with him in goal because he is so calm but confident at the same time. His downside is that there is no league in the world where goalies get pressured like in the NHL. Especially not the SEL. Its impossible for me to tell if he has the mentality and the extreme reflexes to become a great goalie in the NHL. However he has the agility and technique to become everything from a Jose Theodor to Jason Muzzati... =)

I havenīt seen Korpikoski play at all and havenīt seen Immonen play since he was traded to NY. What I remember of Immonen is that he will take advantage of defensemen who makes misstakes. He is very slick stickhandler and loves to twist and turn. Has great vision of the ice. However he could have a problem with the defensemens in the NHL. He is not a bad skater but at 6ī and almost 210 lbs his acceleration isnīt great. He has the tools offensivly but the question is if he will be able to creat space offensivly with his size and skating like he does in the finnish league.

Kondratiev has great intensity and and a good feel of the game. Heīll play the game by his instincts and makes some great plays and some crazy plays. Iīve seen him wind up on his back far away in the neutral zone during a 3 on 5 box play. To his defense it should be said that he never quits. Toronto thougth that he took to much time moving the puck and that he took it in the wrong direction and told him that it was one of the things he needs to work on. And that was one of the things that stood out to me, unlike most Russians defensemen he always moved the puck up ice with a quick outlet pass. He has the stickhandling and foot speed to get the puck out of trouble with a few strides and then deliver it. Maxim neither have the offensive skills or the defensive skills to become a number one defensemen. But if he could learn how to play tough and nasty in the NHL without taking PIMīs, kind of like Chelios/Schneider, his overall game is good enough to be contributor on a second pairing.