View Single Post
Old
10-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
the cap decreasing could be a decent bet. The fact that season tickets were purchased prior to the recent meltdown would help out a bit, but buying tickets at face that are unsold may be silly if you can buy them from someone with seasons at a discount. Further, if the dollar strengthens against the CAD (and I believe it has, but haven't watched lately), then the cap will be hit further. Nobody's done the analsys of what the CAD appreciation has done to the cap in terms of actual dollars. I'd guess it does have a more than marginal effect on the cap.

Back to the numbers...10 guys at $41MM is too much, and I don't know how it gets resolved next season (with Dubi and Zherdev needing to be resigned (and to a lesser extent, Cally)). The following season you would Staal, I believe, and that would really spell trouble. The Rangers need someone like Del Zotto to make the jump to make Redden or Rozsival expendable (and assuming they are doing well and are moveable). That's some pretty high hopes, of course, or a guy like Anisimov needs to show he's a third line center making one of Gomez or Drury expendable. There are scenarios, but each scenario would seem to take a step back in order to keep what they already have and tie their hands to sign new guys. It's not an impossible situation, but it doesn't seem as though it was planned out all too great either.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote