View Single Post
Old
10-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Beakermania*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
My problem with putting O'Byrne with Hamrlik at ES is that it hinders Hamrlik's effectiveness (considering the way O'Byrne is playing these days.) If he continues to play this way, it puts our 2nd pairing at a disadvantage against the opposition's 1st or 2nd line.

I understand why Carbo balances the 2nd and 3rd pairings the way he does, I'm just arguing that we should look at a Hamrlik-Gorges 2nd pairing for a few games and see how that works out. (Granted this would force Carbo to match pairings a lot more than he does, so for that reason I don't really see it happening.)

But right now O'Byrne is really struggling at ES, even with just 13mins a game. However, a Hamrlik-Gorges ES pairing could easily play 16-17 mins of ES time per game and be effective in most matchups.

As I said, I understand the desire to balance, as a Bouillon-Brisebois/O'Byrne pairing may not be the steadiest, and puck moving could be a problem, but I still think that playing strength with strength would be worth a shot.

That said, I think O'Byrne's problem is largely confidence because I didn't see him struggle like this in the preseason. If he regains his confidence and plays a smart simple play, the Hamrlik-O'Byrne pairing should be successful. (I'd still like to see more of Gorges though , I just really like the way he's played for us.)
As for linematching... we just started a road trip.... linematching is much harder on the road... so I wouldn't try this till at least the next home game.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote