View Single Post
Old
10-30-2008, 02:05 PM
Eighty-sixed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Dude, how did you become a Kings fan in Alaska?
Yeah, I'm from LA. I'm young enough to have been a part of the first real hockey development camps in California, hence my love of the game. Anyway, back to Jones.

It's pretty much consensus that Jones is the second best goalie in the WHL behind Spokane's Dustin Tokarski. TSN's power rankings for all WHL players have him between Casey Pierro-Zabotel, a thrid round pick, and Colin Long, a fourth rounder from Santa Ana no less.

Jones is quick side to side and pretty technically sound. I'd be interested to see how he handled faster puck movement, but for now I can say his positioning is solid. I haven't seen anything flashy out of him, but he's pretty speedy going post to post. One thing he does is follow the play very closely. If you've ever watched Ryan Miller, you'll see how he follows the puck around and stay in position even when it's just his own defenders skating and passing around. Jones does the same thing. He shifts around so that he always has a beat on the puck.

On the down side, I've never seen a scrawnier goaltender. The kid is 6'1-6'2 and five to ten pounds shy of 170. Opposing players have a lot of empty net to shoot at, which he compensates for by playing at the top of his crease as much as possible. That means sometimes players can get behind him, but maybe he'll make an adjustment once he packs on some pounds.

I'd say he's an interesting prospect. It's pretty amazing nobody burned a late round pick on him. Right now he benefits from a very solid Calgary team and he's playing with a lot of confidence.

Eighty-sixed is offline   Reply With Quote