View Single Post
Old
07-07-2004, 08:14 AM
L.I.RangerFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
I think you're dead on with #1. I can't see a guy like Quennville showing even glimmers of interest in the job, then just rehiring Renney. IMO, anyone that was rumored to be a candidate would have been an upgrade. Again, Trottier remains the last man to actually accept a coaching job with this team.

With respect to #2, is that a dangerous card to play? Another successful stint with the 'Pack and McGill stands to draw a lot of interest for an NHL job, head or assistant coach. If you're weighing your options and it's working Sather or assisting (insert name of accomplished NHL coach here) with another team, well, just see #1 again.

Yes MJ, it is a dangerous card to play, unless an understanding or contract extention is already being discussed. I think the possiblity of a long lock out played into this decision and most of todays news articles reinforced my thinking.

I think McGill wants to stay in Hartford because he actually is guaranteed a coaching job for the 2004-05 season. If and when the NHL starts back up, Fotiu takes over and McGill becomes the assistant/associate coach or stays in Hartford and come the next season, Renney moves back to the front office and McGill takes over.

If the chance of a long lock out didn't exist, I believe McGill would have been named Head Coach.