View Single Post
Old
10-31-2008, 11:35 AM
GAGLine

vCash: 500
People hate on him because they disagree with his line changes or ingame management, but how many of these people have ever coached a hockey team? Few if any, I would imagine. And some people dislike him because he doesn't throw fits on the bench on a regular basis. I guess maturity is out of style.

I remember the dark times before the lockout and I know that Renney had a very large hand in bringing us out of that. I also know that the players respect him and want to play for him. In his interviews he always seems very honest and forthcoming. He doesn't sugarcoat anything and while he generally won't give much away, his words don't come off to me as coachspeak.

People like to claim he can't get us to a Stanley Cup, and they point to the fact that he hasn't done so yet as proof, but that is a straw man argument. Lots of great coaches have never won the cup just like lots of great players have never won the cup. Ray Bourque didn't suddenly become a good player the day he was traded to Colorado.

We've had 3 pretty damn good years under Renney and so far this year is shaping up to be better yet. Anyone who complains about Renney at this point just wants to complain. They'll continue complaining even if we win a cup, I'm sure. Some people just have it in their head that a certain player or certain coach sucks, and no amount of evidence to the contrary will ever sway them. It's really easy to pick out the few things a coach/player does wrong, or they imagine he does wrong, and ignore all that they do right.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote