View Single Post
Old
10-31-2008, 07:17 PM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Malkin, and who else ? Gimme names. Since the fall of the Berlin Wall, not that many.

Emelin also was about to sign a contract with the Habs. And you know what happened
I read of 3 so far this year. The latest was a guy named Vasyunov, though I may be off on the spelling. I could look up the other 2 but I've seen them mentionned, possibly earlier in this thread as a reason that the KHL was signing established players.

Regarding Emelin, we know what Emelin's Canadian agent, Todd Diamond reported, that Emelin's Russian agent negotiated a deal for him while Diamond was in good faith doing the same with Mtl.

It's a difficult situation for NHL teams as they can sign Russian players to play for them, but it's very difficult to develop them in the AHL. If I was in their situation, looking at a 1000% increase in take home pay, in a profession that can end quickly, I'd have a hard time walking away from the money. Compare it to NCAA players leaving after a sophomore year, or MaxPac walking out on his scholarship after committing to his team.

Yeah, he signed a contract. He signed it in a foreign country at 21 years old, and decided to leave for a better opportunity. I don't think we need the UN to be involved here. Damn Russians, embracing capitalism.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote