View Single Post
Old
10-31-2008, 11:19 PM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Not particularly. I liked Streit on D more than most here, but I could admit under strong forechecking he'd suffer a bit. That said, I'd pair him up with a guy like Hamrlik; someone who can move the puck, will support his partner, and can handle some of the more physical affairs.

That said, Streit would almost have to be partnered with Hamrlik, and he'd be a question mark in the playoffs. Potentially a liability. Flip side is that I don't think the team has a liability for the playoffs. If O'Byrne, who I'm not as fond of as most here, does not progress, then the team will acquire a solid second pairing defenseman for the stretch run.

Bottom-line: Streit was a mercenary on the Habs. Great on the PP. Not just his shot, but his puck movement, his skating and his whole offensive talent was useful. Tanguay's better at everything other than Streit's shot, but the shot is what's needed most, and Tanguay could have been utilized in another capacity.

5 on 5, though, where does Streit play? Either he holds O'Byrne back, or he changes the dynamics of the grind line.

... He was good as a forward, but he didn't like playing that role, and he was a little non-descript as a forward. Fast, yes, okay puck distributor, willing to play the body, good on the forecheck, could go to the net, could cycle ... a more solid, talented version of Dackell, perhaps. I don't see a line he particularly fits on.

In the end, Streit would help Montreal in certain respects, but he'd be a mercenary type of player on a team that should no longer have a need for those square pegs. Good player, good person, but not a player for Montreal right now unfortunately.

He's one of few that I'm genuinely very happy to see succeeding elsewhere.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote