View Single Post
Old
11-01-2008, 06:20 AM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
A scene from the Carolina game told me all I needed to know about Higgins. He had the puck near the crease on a PP. Markov was sneaking in from the left side, rushing alone to the net. Higgins NEVER took a look. Never. It's as if he couldn't see Markov. And I believe he couldn't see him, because I truly believe the guy doesn't have a good peripheral vision.

And, guess what, he took a shot from a bad angle. Markov had an empty net.

Higgins with Koivu and Tanguay would mean that the latter would seldom see the puck, because Higgins just can't see 180 degrees. He just can't.

Of all the forwards on the first 3 lines, he's got the worst hockey vision. What would warrant a 1st line try?
While I've noticed Higgins has some vision issues (not the 'hockey vision' so much as actual vision issues) ... I don't think this play illustrated anything. Higgins cut to the net unexpectedly, rather than go behind the net or make the pass to Koivu behind the net. On a team that plays it too fancy on occasion, Higgins driving to the net is a good thing.

On that play, passing to Koivu behind the net as he was readying himself to pop out the other side would have been the safest play. Dealing it off past a couple of Carolina players to a streaking Markov would have been the cute play. Driving it to the net would be the strongest play, in my view.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote