View Single Post
Old
11-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroedingers Cat View Post
The value of this trade is roughly even, but neither team pulls the trigger. Datsyuk doesn't fit in Pittsburgh and Malkin definitely doesn't fit in Detroit. If Kronwall played for the Pens with all of their D healthy he would still be on the first pair. Kronwall doesn't get stats because he's lodged behind two of the top 5 offensive d-men in the NHL. With the Pens he would be a force. To be quite honest I don't think Detroit even sniffs this trade as Sydor would be like our 9th d-man and Malkin would end up in Babcock's doghouse by the end of his first game.
If Kronwall were on the Pens he'd still be behind Gonchar, who found a regular partner in Orpik. There'd be no reason to put NK on the top unit when the Pens already have a good complementary pairing. The Pens have no need for another offensive defenseman. The defense is, in fact, pretty stable and well-balanced, and certainly not in any state that would require the team to trade a player of Malkin's caliber.

Quote:
The only real deal-breaker in this trade is the fact that Malkin is 5 years younger than Datsyuk. But the fact that Malkin will only outscore Datsyuk by maybe 10-15 points a season while Datsyuk also plays consistently Selke-quality defense against other top lines evens their current value in my eyes. If I want to win now I acquire Datsyuk. If Datsyuk was only played against third and fourth lines and pulled 20-22 minutes while never sniffing the PK he would be a 110 point guy too.
Malkin's already outscoring Datsyuk by that sort of gap. He has the ability to do much more on both sides of the puck, and when Datsyuk was Malkin's age, he was exponentially less effective in every phase of the game. It's very convenient in these proposals for people to claim that Crosby and Malkin are already at or near their peaks when they wouldn't dream of allowing the same for their own similarly-aged top prospects.

Quote:
I thought the Datsyuk\Zetterberg vs. Crosby\Malkin issue was resolved pretty effectively during the finals. Crosby did very well but Malkin vanished utterly.
Malkin was also hurt, sick, and consequently his play had suffered prior to the Detroit series. But don't let silly things like different variables affect your appraisal.

Quote:
Some people seem to forget that even though Malkin is young and improving, Datsyuk is also improving. His game gets better every year, and it's scary to think that, even in his early 30s, he's still developing and getting better. I don't think the difference between Malkin and Datsyuk will be clear for another 5 years, when Datsyuk is in his mid-late 30s and Malkin is in his absolute prime.
The relative room for both's growth isn't even in the same ballpark.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote