Thread: Injury Report: Martin Brodeur Out 3-4 Months
View Single Post
Old
11-04-2008, 02:07 PM
IrishSniper87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Thats as ridiculous as the "gretzky would be mediocre at best in the NHL today" arguement.
You never know, but thats not what is important. What is important is that among his peers, he excelled so much that he is known as the greatest ever.

Athletes get better and better over the years with advances in nutrition, work-out supplements and extra popularity and competition in sports. Many current athletes would wipe the floor with great older ones, but that is an unfair comparison, at best. I mean, would Babe Ruth be the Great Bambino if he was around today facing 90-95 mph fastballs and strong curveballs and sliders on a regular basis??

I mean, people are breaking Olympic records every Olympics, this shows people are getting better at conditioning and training.

Do you think the best cars in the 60's can compare to the best cars of today? No. But are the best cars in the 60's still remembered today and loved for what they were at the time?? YES.

I know it sounds evil or wrong or something, but it is entirely possible that in today's NHL, Gretzky in his prime, might not be considered the best player to play the game.

However, he didn't play in today's NHL, and never will. It is an unfair comparison. The game and its athletes have changed. Thats why you always compare current athletes to their current peers.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote