View Single Post
Old
11-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Quiet Robert

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
In conclusion, I don't see why the Habs aren't among the top 3 or 4 teams in the East.
They could very well finish in the top 3 or 4 in the East, I was just trying to say that the 8-1-1 record was a little misleading because it points to a level of dominance that we haven't achieved, aside from a period here and there. There's no doubt we've found a way to win games, but when break down the opposition and the games, you're looking at a team that didn't do that well against the elite teams.

Out of 10 games, we faced 3 elite teams and 3 solid teams and 4 teams we should beat. We did go 4-1-1 against the teams that should make the playoffs, but that's still a little misleading.

We lost to Anaheim, lost in SO to Buffalo and beat Minny only because we shut down their PP. So essentially against elite teams we were 1-1-1 with no convincing performances, although I think the PK was sensational against Min.

Against solid teams we were 3-0-0 but that again doesn't prove we were dominant or unbeatable. We battled back to beat Philly, blew a lead to Boston but eventually won in the SO and again needed a SO to beat Carolina. So again, none of these performances were particularly convincing. That doesn't mean we didn't deserve to win, but it means that 3-0-0 could have gone any way.

That said, we did beat the teams we needed to beat, going 4-0-0 there. The Islanders game was nearly a disaster, but credit to the team for battling back. The Florida game was pretty boring, but we got the win. The Phoenix game changed after the Kostitsyn hit, but we kept to our game and got a good win. The Toronto game was by far our most dominant win of the season.

So I'm not knocking the team, I just that if someone wanted to criticize the 8-1-1, there are ways to do it. I just did it right there in a much more convincing way than the blog. Essentially I'm saying that I do still see this team as a top 4 in the East, but pointing to 8-1-1 as a little inflated is not incorrect if you do it the right way. That said, good teams find ways to win games, and so far we've done that.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote