Thread: Mark Streit
View Single Post
Old
11-06-2008, 12:17 AM
OhNoItsComeau57

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson View Post
Personally, I have been impressed. Been great on the offensive end and has been much better than expected in his own zone. Now, I'm not saying that he is Nik Lidstrom and he has certainly had some trouble in his own end but he has been much better back there than MTL fans had led us to believe.

I will absolutely say one thing. When he has the puck in our end and is about to start the transition, I'm more comfortable with him having the puck on his stick than any defenseman we have had in a long time. Whether he skates it out of the zone and passes, or skates it out all the way into the other team's zone or skates it out and dumps it once gaining the red line or passes it out to a forward, he is better than anyone on our blueline by a WHOLE lot and better than anyone back there for a long time, like I mentioned before.

Is he overpaid? Sure but which d-man signed last summer isn't? Plus, with the Islanders, we will have to overpay to get anyone of note, so I'm ok with the overpayment for a guy like this who has shown nothing but hustle and hard work and also has the results to show for it. Quite simply, I'm a fan.
I agree with you on all points except being overpaid. A guy like sutton makes 3 million and streit is at a million more. Seems that 3 mill per is the cost of a decent 2nd pairing guy (or 3 and change for an exceptional 2nd pairing guy like Witt). But when compated to rozival making 5 redden at 6.5 (?) Kubina at 5 McCabe at 5.7. I personally think 4.1 for a guy at nearly a point a game who plays good defense and has showed a reasonable amount of toughness is a bargain. Just my 2 cents

OhNoItsComeau57 is offline   Reply With Quote