Thread: Injury Report: Martin Brodeur Out 3-4 Months
View Single Post
Old
11-06-2008, 03:58 AM
decadentia

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
After watching brodeur for the last 15 years, I happen to know that his style of play doesn't lend itself to be in a good position to handle rebound opportunities. The players who will be in position to score on rebounds are often not a Dman's responsibility, but one of the forwards. Which is where the devils coverage and team defense comes into play. You don't need big names or even great players to play good team defense. You just need defensively responsible forwards, which NJ tends to do a good job of finding, and dmen who know the system and play positionally very well. 2nd and 3rd opportunities have a much great chance to go in, and these are limited by good team defense. If defensive play by forwards didn't matter, then Homer wouldn't have ripped his wingers in the media the last 2 days.
No one ever said defensive play by forwards doesn't matter. In fact this is simply something that sprouted from your conjecture.

There are many goalies who are "good" who benefit from their system's style.

Leclaire in Columbus
Backstrom in Minnesota
Roloson back in Minnesota
Osgood/Legace in Detroit
Belfour in Dallas

Now there's one goalie in here that stands out, and he doesn't fit the mold of the others. Can you guess which one?

A good goalie in a great system is rarely regarded beyond anything than a good goalie. You won't see those goalies pulling at the records above them.

This time I am giving up, I just realized that i'm trying to prove to someone that arguably one of/the best goalie(s) in the league is more than mediocre and a product of his system.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote