View Single Post
Old
11-06-2008, 11:46 AM
clmetsfan

vCash: 500
I do love Orr, and I love the improvement out of him this year, but I question the methodology used by the author.

For starters, he says that "Since a game’s momentum usually swings to the team whose player prevails in a fight, we awarded a bonus for each win and subtracted points for each loss." I have my doubts about that bolded part; I'd like to see some numbers to back that one up. They also use the voting on hockeyfights.com to determine win/lose/draw, which I suppose is the best outside source you could use, but those votes are largely driven by homerism as well.

Second, it only takes fighting into account. We've all seen how much Orr has improved his skating this year, yet the article doesn't mention that at all even though it's probably far more important with regard to the success of the team than his fighting ability. Case in point, they rank Laraque as number two even though he's the highest paid enforcer in the league and doesn't even dress half the time. That's getting bang for your buck?

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote