View Single Post
Old
11-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Though I could make the argument that:

Koivu and Tanguay have propelled Montreal's offense to date, and are indeed bound to slow down. Furthermore, expectations that Kovalev ought to repeat last year's performance may be unrealistic since Kovalev's statistical output has tended to be up-and-down, and so this may be a down year for him.

Plekanec and A.Kostitsyn, being direct benefactors of Kovalev's offensive output last season, would then also have down years. And with A.Kostitsyn having suffered a concussion and being snake-bit to date, may fall into bad habits and have a very average campaign--not necessarily regressing in numbers from last year, but certainly not progressing (which would seem like regressing, if you get what I mean.)

Plekanec's shot isn't all that great and with the league becoming speedier, and more conscious of Plekanec's strong transition game which accounts for much of his offense, he may slip into his appropriate 15-20g, 30-35a production, which is what most Hab fans projected for him prior to last season.

While the writer may be seeming to contradict himself when stating Koivu/Tanguay will slow down and the rest are having slow starts, he may be stating that: Koivu and Tanguay are proven, hard-working performers. The rest are either unproven or not proven to be hard-working cross-seasons. So while we can definitely expect a slow-down in Koivu and Tanguay, there's no insurance that Kovalev, Plekanec and A.Kostitsyn find their magic of last season. And if they don't, they're in for tougher seasons than they produced last year.

So as this blogger claims that Montreal's offense will hit a rut, leading to a slip in the standings, I see it as possible: the team's based on its offense. Sure, the goaltending is solid and the defense can be good, but the defense can also be very bad at times. If Markov has an off-game, the whole blueline is out of synch.

So, yes, this blogger was insightful.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote