View Single Post
Old
07-09-2004, 03:21 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

vCash: 500
Would you sign a RFA for 5 first round picks

I thought I would start a new thread on this topic (following up on the "Would you trade for Joe Thornton" thread discussion)

I recommend you read the article TSN.ca before posting a response. http://www.tsn.ca/tools/print_feature.asp?fid=9273

This article uses the Federov and Scott Stevens examples and concludes it is a worthwhile risk to sign a RFA for picks. I won't re-hash the article you can read it for yourself.

Q: Would you sign Joe Thornton for the Sens next 5 first rounders?

IMO: yes IF you can sign him for $5-$6M per year for 5 years and you restock picks by trading assets over the next 5 years. I wouldn't sign just any RFA only an impact type player and Thornton is one who is just entering his prime years.

My reasons:
  1. you are giving up a late first round pick that in most draft years is pretty equivalent to a second round pick (which hopefully you are replenishing as time goes on).
  2. There aren't many late first round picks who become impact players. There may be the odd one (Havlat?) but not many.
  3. Sens seem to draft a good player from just about anywhere in the draft
  4. Boston can't pick worth beans in the first round anyway
  5. If Thornton delivers a Stanley Cup or two over the next five years its worth it. As long the team remains competetive after that, I would be very happy to win two cups in a ten year span (heck I'd setlle for 1).
flame away (nicely)