View Single Post
Old
07-10-2004, 07:03 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zednik
With Kovalev signing in Pittsburgh (rumor), do you think it would affect us badly ?

I mean, Pittsburgh would become a top-8 team in the East, and that could cost us a playoff spot. WHat do you think ?
You can beleive it, but personally, I think they might have a shot at #8 only if they can get an other top-4 Dman, if they can sign Kovalev, if they can sign Malkin, if Fleury plays up to the level he did at the begining of last year on a consistent basis and if Mario plays all season long. Lots of "if's" here. And even then, I don't see them finishing past us.

The Habs will have an improved defense and improved offense (just the fact Bonk replaces Juneau on the 3rd line puts us ahead).

No need to panic. It would be nice to see Kovalev play with Koivu and Zednik, but it would be equally nice to see Higgins or Hossa steal that role at training camp and run with it. Or Kostitsyn...

The depth of our system gives us other choices. No more washed up vets, we won't struggle to make the playoffs no matter what happens from here on.

That's my beleifs anyway. I don't think of myself as an overoptimistic fan but I think there's lots of reasons to be enthusiastic about next year's lineup as is, Kovalev or not.