View Single Post
Old
07-10-2004, 10:31 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zednik
With Kovalev signing in Pittsburgh (rumor), do you think it would affect us badly ?
I mean, Pittsburgh would become a top-8 team in the East, and that could cost us a playoff spot. WHat do you think ?
It's hard to call. There's still so much time to go in the FA wars, and even once we see the final rosters, chemistry and coaching and all that is probably going to be the deciding factor on a lot of teams, and that's just as impossible to predict.

I'm a bit more worried right now about Atlanta and Florida. Things are going to get really crowded in the Eastern Conference. With those two teams moving up, and maybe Buffalo also, and you start looking at better lineups in Pittsburgh and a harder push from Carolina... it sounds like it's wide open. On paper, especially if we don't add any more players, I don't see us as playoff shoo-ins by any stretch. And if we don't get the unexpected seasons we had from guys like Ryder, Ribeiro, and Souray...or another big injury to Koivu... hey, we have as much chance of being with the Caps and Rangers as we do of being in the playoff race.

But that's doom-and-gloom from a distance, and a lot can change. Of course, it's not such a bad situation to be in, with the 2005 draft crop and all...