Old
11-12-2008, 05:31 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

vCash: 500
Gomez listed as Day-to-day

Per Weinman
Quote:
So it turns out the Devils aren’t the only team contending with injuries tonight.

Scott Gomez’s leg injury has turned out to be worse than expected. He won’t play tonight, and is listed as day-to-day.

While still second on the team in scoring with 13 points (three goals, 10 assists), Gomez has struggled the past few games. Curiously, I hadn’t seen it in his mobility as much as I have in his unwillingness to engage in contact. Against Edmonton, there was at least one instance when he carelessly dished off the puck when about to get hit.

“That’s a question for the individual,” Tom Renney said when asked if the injury as affected Gomez’s play. “He’s skating hard. He’s working hard. As far as being able to play, I don’t know, but he’s certainly been playing hard.”

Renney said Gomez has had an MRI on his leg, but that the player is mostly dealing with pain. As recently as yesterday, the coach said Gomez couldn’t risk further damage by playing. He backed off that a little tonight.

“It’s precautionary as much as anything,” Renney said. “But if it compromises the player or the team, you have to do the right thing.”

Gomez played in 81 games last season, his only missed game coming after badly bruising his ribs in a late-season game in Philadelphia.
I guess it was worse than expected. Hopefully he doesn't miss a big chunk of the season.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote