View Single Post
Old
11-15-2008, 01:13 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
A lot of great advice here, thanks for everyone who continues to contribute. As can be seen, there's no book on how to get a job (in hockey or anywhere), but a lot of it comes down to hard work, how much you want it and who you know/using your contacts.

It might sound unfair, but the truth of the matter is that most jobs aren't advertised publicly. I've gotten quite a few jobs through people I know and people that know of me, where I was pretty much the only candidate and it was more whether I was a good fit as oppose to being the top resume in the stack. It's just how business rolls. That's not exclusive to hockey or sports in the least. It's good advice for anyone planning their future.

Can you get a job by applying for ads online or in the paper? Sure. But if you're focused on wanting a job in a particular field or particular market, you need to focus your efforts appropriately to give yourself the best fighting chance out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer View Post
I would recommend amateur over professional as well, working with amateur sport is much less cutthroat from my experience (in the paralympic/olympic stream) its a very good starting point at least.
I work in amateur sports and something that might be overlooked when considering that area is that, by definition, amateur sports is non-profit work. While knowledge of the sport and sport admin etc. is all very important, working in the non-profit field adds another layer as well. Preparing for a job like that, the experience in the non-profit sector that you should have doesn't have to be necessarily in the field of sports.

It's more the nuances of non-profit life, dealing with multiple projects without enough staff, money or time, answering to a board of directors, limited budget which means reduced pay from comparable positions in the corporate world, etc. My time in the non-profit world has been immensely rewarding and a great learning experience, but there are definite challenges and limitations all the same.

I will say that the non-profit world tends to draw people that really want to be there, which creates a very stimulating environment. Due to the lower salaries and higher demands, you're usually surrounded by people who care a lot more about the work that they're doing as opposed to the pay cheque every two weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
If you've ever considered a job in the media (I was at one point), right here at Hockey's Future is a great place to start. I wrote articles for them for a couple of years. If you've got good writing skills, and have an interest in writing about prospects, drop them a line. Can't say whether or not they're looking for new writers, but I'd say it's probable. You get to interact with the staff too, they're usually helpful and in good spirits, right Kevin?
HF is always looking for new writers to add to the fold and we've also had writers move on to bigger and better things. Like a lot of what I've been talking about, what you get out of it is proportional to how much you put in. I can't speak directly for what beats we need help in or even what the current standards of job requirements are. I'm one of HF's longest serving writers, first started writing for the site in August of 2002. HF has provided me with many opportunities to do things I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise and I've learned a lot during my time with the site. But it's not for everyone and there's no guarantee that it will lead you to something bigger.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote