Thread: Last Year....
View Single Post
Old
11-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Krautso

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
We had two offensive lines and two grinding lines. And we finished first in the East. [Good] Yet we were not combative enough to go far in the playoffs. [Bad] This year we have three offensive lines and one grinding line. The truth is we have three soft lines and two guys that grind on the last line since George doesn't grind that well. That is the picture.

Last year The Red Wings won the cup with two skilled players in Zetterberg and Datsuyk and the rest of the offensive squad was filled with grinders(since I consider Holmstrom and Frenzen grinders with skills).

Hockey is about working hard first and the way our team has been refashioned this year has been a big reason for the lack of effort since the beginning of the season in my opinion.

My 2 Cents.
The only soft regular forwards on the team are Pleks, Tanguay and A.Kost. I would say the rest of the forwards battle through the tough checking pretty well. MTL needs to get back to making the puck do all the work. We are missing our crisp passing game and trying to do too much individual dangling to create opportunities. If they work harder off the puck they will be much more successful.

DET plays a puck possession passing game which makes grinding much less important. MTL can and has played that way as well. Active sticks, good shot blocking and good positioning is how you play defense in the new NHL. MTL can do that, and they have at times. When they get away from it, they don't fare so well.

I don't think sacrificing talent for pluggers is a good strategy.

Krautso is offline   Reply With Quote