View Single Post
Old
11-16-2008, 10:56 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
When you say "use his speed" it implies he's speedy, no?

Now you've adjusted to say "speed for his size" which is a very different thing.

More to the point, however, is that O'Byrne struggles with his mobility. If he were more mobile, perhaps his footspeed would be a better asset. As it stands right now, the only time I really find myself noticing his speed is when he's coming up ice to join a play, meaning, when he doesn't have the puck.

As for Elder, you said the hit was so hard you thought he *killed* him. If you took offense to me saying you were "wetting your pants" with that comment, then I apologize. I was merely pointing you your overzealousness, I meant no offense.

As for the whole YouTube thing - really? I mean, if I find a big hit from Sergei Berezin on YouTube does that make him a big hitter too? What's the point of bringing up YouTube in a conversation about a hockey players ability to take the body? You're a better poster then that.

Ditto for the comments about the Hamilton board. I've never posted there in my life... what does that prove? Does that now mean that I didn't see those games? I don't even understand where you're going with this 'argument.' Then you go on to say that O'Byrne wasn't an AHL All-Star because of his offense?

Huh?

Who said he was? Is the implication that him being an AHL All-Star proves he's a good hitter in the NHL? Don't you think it's more likely that it means he played well defensively?

I suspect that O'Byrne, right now, is absorbing a lot of things from the coaching staff and trying to implement them into his game. I'm not so worried about his ability right now, I'm more interested in how well he's playing around Christmas.

I spend so much time on these boards reasoning with the O'Byrne supporters here that one thing is really getting lost in all of these posts: I think the kid can be a good NHL defenseman. I just don't think he's anywhere near that yet. Big, defensive defenseman have the toughest learning curve in the NHL, in my opinion. Right now O'Bryne is proving that.
When I say he uses his speed, he's a big boy that's a fact, how many guys that are 6'5-6'6 are considered speedy? O'B imo is speedy when you factor in his huge frame, he moves well for such a big player.

The hit on Elder was freaking great, it was a treat to watch but I can assure you I never wet my pants, or at least not since I was 2 or had way way too much to drink.

As for youtube, I brought it up cause he's played in only 44 nhl games and yet if you youtube his name you will find several big hits, Campbell, Ruttuu, Williams and more. So in half a season worth of games played he's already got a number of big hits, and imo he's still got a ways to go before we really see him play more physical.

As for the Hamilton board, I meant the hamilton thread at the top of the page, yes I do find it strange that you say you saw O'B a lot in Hamilton and yet I don't recall seeing you post in the thread, I guess I just assume that when people see our prospects play they post about it, since we are at hockeysfuture.

As for O'B being an AHL All star, he was good defensively and he has a good hitter, it's not like he was great defensively as I'm sure you know since you saw him a lot and we all know it's not his offense that got him there.

The one thing we agree on is that O'B is not there yet, he's got a long ways to go and I suspect it's going to take at least 2 years if not more. I'm more interested in seeing how he does when he's around 200 NHL games under his belt, hopefully for him and the Habs, he's much better by then.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote