Thread: News Article: Nylander trade watch
View Single Post
Old
11-16-2008, 01:39 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 500
I don't know, while I do think we're defense deep in the farm system (we've certainly got a lot of players with potential) the Caps seem to be taking the if they draft or acquire enough of them, they certainly are going to end up having some turn out good.

Though, Alzner aside, they've been smart using late firsts, 2nds and mid round picks in accumulating their prospect pools on the defense. Most are pretty interesting, and I wouldn't be shocked if most at least get a cup of coffee at the NHL level. But beyond Alzner, I don't think there's a stud who is a sure fire bet to be a top end defenseman. Note: I do think Carlson will show that with a good WJC performance, a continued great showing in the OHL and the maturation of his game. But like all defensemen, he will hit a wall of some sort.

Irregardless of the stable they have or don't have down on the farm, I think the issue we also should consider is what will the roster look like in 2-3 years time? Most of the money the team spends is going to be up front on Ovechkin, Backstrom, and then of an offensive caliber on the backend with Green. Semin's probably here as well, but that's not as sure. I could fathom a day when 24-25 million of the cap is eaten up by just those 4 players. With that said, they better be getting some serious value from some area. They probably intend on doing so on the backend by having 2 or 3 young, entry level or 3rd-4th year guys play solid minutes on the blueline. Now, they're going to have to surround them with some quality vets to ease things over, but 1.75 for a good young defenseman won't hurt the cap at all. Offensively, you'll be able to get by with that foursome and one or two other servicable young players. Plus the added bonus is, young defensemen are probably the most valuable commodity outside of the pick and a prospect deals at trade deadlines. Every team wouldn't mind a good young defensive prospect or two.