Old
11-16-2008, 04:29 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAF View Post
Detroit's "terrible defense" is what other teams call an "above average" defense. Detroit, its forwards, and its fans have been spoiled by what was far and away the best defense in the NHL.

Defensively, Washington and Detroit are almost identical in stats so far this season. They've got about the same goals allowed and about the same PK %. The only difference is that the Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin lines are scoring lots of goals and allowing few, whereas the Hossa/Datsyuk/Zetterberg are scoring lots of goals but allowing a lot too.
Once again, instead of paying attention to strictly goals for and against, watch both teams play and make a judgement from there. Rafalski has given the puck away at least 50% of the time he has had the puck. Lidstrom has been out of position. Lilja has given the puck away. Lebda has looked like he forgot how to play defense.

Considering I have watched Detroit play every game, I have an understanding on how terrible Detroit's defense is. It isn't average. It is incredibly terrible, and it is not helping their stats.

A single statistic is not the determining factor to pick how well a player is doing. Also I don't know how well Semin, Ovenchkin, and Backstrom are defensively but do you really believe they are solid two way players, at least in the same way as Hossa, Zetterberg, and Datsyuk are?

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote