11-16-2008, 09:15 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAF View Post
No.

But they have been more effective, primarily because of possession. Watching that line at even strength, you'd think they were on the power play. In the games they've played together, I would guess they've faced less SOGs (on average) than any other line this season. I'll admit part of that is probably due to the fact that some teams only play their checking / shutdown lines against them; they rarely face the 1st line of some teams, except on the PK.

Detroit gave the same impression at times last season, but for whatever reason, the Datsyuk and Hossa lines are allowing a high number of SOGs this season. I have only seen a few Detroit games this season, but at times they've had trouble clearing the zone. You can't blame that all on the defense. Defense is a collaborative effort. And I still think Detroit fans have been spoiled; giveaways on defense aren't uncommon on most teams.
Once again, watch a damn game and tell me that it is average defense.

Give me total takeaways from last year and selke nominations and you can see why the +/- is so high from last year.

Hossa and Datsyuk play against the top lines. Every. Single. Time. They play both the powerplay and PK. They are put in every situation against every line because they can do everything that a forward needs to do. Take a look at the playoffs (especially the finals) and see how dominant those three were. Datsyuk and Zetterberg shut down the top line (except for the Hoss) and Hossa was a scoring machine.

One stat only proves one thing, and that one thing is not the worth of a player.

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote