View Single Post
Old
11-18-2008, 05:16 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Yes it does, that's part of the team's history. If you don't have the rights to it then how can you hang it up? Especially considering the Jets team he played for was in the WHA, not the NHL.

Look at Ron Francis in Carolina. He spent most of his years with that organization as a Whaler. Those were also his best years offensively. But his jersey is retired as a Cane, probably because the Hurricanes don't own the rights to the Whalers for whatever reason.
It really doesn't. A retired number isn't any kind of contract or anything more than a ceremonial honour and a banner that it meaningless except emotionally. The Coyotes honour Bobby Hull's number because it's the same organization, however the Jets logo and name (actual legal entities) may or may not be part of that organization. I believe the logo and name were kept with the city of Winnipeg when the team left town, but I may not be correct in that.

The Cleveland Browns more or less did this (as apparently did the Whalers). When they left to go to Baltimore they ended up settling with the city so the team's name and logo, etc. would stay with the city of Cleveland. And then the NFL said they'd get a new team so they're named the Browns. The Ravens could have kept numbers retired if they wanted, it doesn't indicate anything.

What I'm saying is, I might be wrong, but a retired number isn't evidence of that. Is there a Jets logo on the banner?