View Single Post
Old
11-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Missionhockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
Oy, ve Gunnar.

A leader is a leader. It doesn't matter what age he is or "how much he has accomplished in the NHL".

If you took out the names, the ages, and the past accomplishments of every player on the Flyers and just took a look at each player's leadership qualities, Richards would have the best resume. End of story. Richards is the best player to lead that team and that's all that matters.

As for those folks saying "Richards and it isn't even close" you're as much out to lunch here as Gunnar.

I'll take Richards, for now, but by a little bit.
Aside from that last sentence, I agree with your post. If the Devils had drafted Richards and he followed the exact same developmental path as he has done throughout his career, he would not be the captain of the Devils. The Flyers the last couple seasons have been a revolving door for players and the only reason there was not to make him captain was that he was too young. Its not the same situation as Parise. If Langenbrunner magically dissappeared (godforbid, but wouldn't surprise me the way this season is going), there are plenty of Devils that have shown loyalty to the Devils, that have been staples with the organization, that would be in line well before Parise.

That doesn't mean that Parise is not a leader though, which is what I'm reading in this thread. I have said that he might be in line for an 'A' and got grilled for it because of all the veterans in front of him. However, I do believe that the team follows Parise's example. This is pretty cliche, but he comes to play every night, and Sutter has the most faith in him out of all our scoring forwards. He gets the most ice-time night in and night out. I have no doubt in my mind that when Parise gains more seniority, that he will have the 'C' on his chest. Afterall, he wore an 'A' for the United States during the World Championships. Parise possesses all the qualities of a natural born leader. He is humble, he leads by example, and he has absolutely zero quit in him. As a matter of fact, if he were drafted by he Flyers instead of Richards, he could have been captain of Philadelphia instead of Richards.