View Single Post
Old
11-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
I think the problem with Latendresse is while I believe he hasn't been managed properly right from the beginning, he's never made a case for himself to actually be playing top line minutes.

He was great at the start of the season, but he slowly started regressing to his old self. Instead of letting him potentially work out his funk, Carbo demoted him and put Higgins back on the line. While I still believe it was Higgins spot to begin with, this has been his problem in a microcosm. As soon as the kid makes a mistake, he gets demoted. Playing Latendresse on the bottom lines is just wasting away his talent. At the same time, if Latendresse displayed consistent efforts like he had last night and showed that he can still be an effective threat, then he probably wouldn't be stuck playing bottom line minutes in the first place.

I find this situation very similar to Grabovski. While he was grossly mismanaged as well, he never really made a significant case to be playing top line minutes. It's sort of a vicious circle much like Lats situation in which both parties are to blame.

I'll say it again though: if Lats is going to keep playing bottom line minutes, package him and O'Byrne for a top 4 D...
I think Lats could be useful to us if he's put on PP.
The regression you're talking about happened the day Higgins came back and Lats wasn't used on PP anymore.

We removed Lats from the Koivu line when he was averaging just under a pt/gp, and we upgraded Higgins even if he wasn't playing any better on the Lang line.

I don't even like Lats, but he's on our team and he can be asset to us. So let's make sure he is.
We need to win, so we have to use everyone in a role where they could perform at their best. Carbo's not doing that right now.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote