Thread: The Defense...
View Single Post
Old
11-19-2008, 07:13 PM
jcpenny

vCash: 500
The Defense...

I don't often start new threads but i had to make this one. I read a lot of complaints about the lines, kovalev, Kost Bros among others. You guys are right, they arent playing well and they could do better but they arent the reason why we are playing so badly right now. I see one big nasty problem and its the DEFENSE.

Every succesful team starts with a good D. Ask the Red Wings, Sharks, and Rangers. Their success is attributed to great transition play, poise and effectiveness with the puck. We just dont have that in Montreal. Our forwards need the puck but our defense just cant give it to them. Teams have fun when they play us, they just dump it up and pressure our D knowing that guys will panic out there and turn the puck over.

We have 3 solid defensmen in Markov, Komi and Hammer. Gorges is a very good 5-6th D and the rest is garbage. OByrne is not ready and i question his Hockey sense, Brisebois is working hard but he cant do it anymore, Bouillon works awfully hard but you dont win a lot of games with 5'8 D with no great strengths except his heart and we wont talk about Dandenault.

We need 2 more D to really be considered contender material. Markov needs a real top end partner, Komi needs to a number 3-4 where he would be more effective and another poised physical D would be welcomed. Spending money on Tanguay and Lang was all nice and all but they missed the point entirely. Red wings proved it, Ducks also 2 years ago, defense wins championships.

Markov-???
Hammer-Komi
Gorges-???

If Gainey can fill the blanks, stanley should not be far from us. What do you guys think?

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote