View Single Post
Old
11-22-2008, 02:54 PM

vCash: 500
I know you guys have a plethora of blue chip prospects in your system but to win it takes more than that.

That is why I am here to give you a quick update on the Montreal Juniors captain Matt Fillier. I have been watching the Juniors from the start of the season and I have really enjoyed Fillier's grit so far. Just an update on his stats:

#27 Matt Fillier 20GP 7-5-12 35 PIMS +4

The first game back from the Kings training camp he had a 4 pts game and I really thought that someone with his speed and grit and at his age he would dominate offensively kind of like what Nick Layton is doing at the moment for the team.

But Fillier is really lacking in offensive awareness and the only way he can create offensive chances is by hard work and crease crashing. He wasnt named captain out of the blue, Fillier gives 100% every shift and is a real leader off the ice from what I am hearing. He defends his teammates on the ice and is a real team player.

Now what he can do on the ice are what most 3rd and 4th liners do every day in the NHL. He can hit, he plays well along the boards, isnt afraid to go in the corners, plays on the PK, plays well in his own zone, etc.

He is not the most beautiful skater I have seen but he gets things done and gets from point A to point B effectively. In the new NHL even the 13th forward needs to have speed or else you'll get blown past you and you'll take hooking penalties and 4th liners cannot do that.

Fillier will one day reach the NHL I have no doubt about it, he has a tremendous work ethic and will probably have to spend a couple of years in the AHL first, and he will never be a top scorer at the NHL level, but he is the kind of guy that you won the cup with, a lot of character, dedication, that inspires a team with a body check or an energy shift.

All in all not a flashy prospect you've got there but a future 4th liner character energy type of guy that is playing solid hockey right now as the captain of the Montreal Juniors.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote