View Single Post
Old
11-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
The question does lock you into choosing just between these two players. I personally think the better question is-- could the Canadiens do more with the $4M committed to Lang? Seeing they have just a hair over $1M in cap space, is that too much if the best option is as a third line centre?
Since the Habs were just burning monopoly money when they picked up Lang, I guess there is one argument there that his $4M doesn't mean much. They weren't going to spend the money on anybody else. Perhaps it limits trade opportunities now, however.

I guess my reticence in this thread is based more on my last viewing of Bonk as a Hab. He started awful with us, but had settled into a solid role before he left. And we just don't have anybody IMHO who fits the role of a consistent and effective defensive forward. If Bonk has fallen totally off the map now and is either finished, or back to the lumbering liability he was early in his Habs stint, then for sure, you can't take him over Lang, it's no contest, regardless of cap hit.

If we could have somebody who really was an effective and reliable defensive 3rd line center (and my definition includes somebody who chips in 30ish points too), and at a lower cap hit than Lang, then I'd be tempted to go with that option over Lang. But I don't think the option was out there. Chipchura probably isn't quite ready to be relied on for it. But I expect he will be next year.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote