Old
11-26-2008, 06:40 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
If he pops 30 goals, that cap figure is perfectly reasonable. The problem with Lupul isn't his cap figure, it's the amount of cap we already have invested in forwards and need to invest in JVR whenever he shows up.
He has never scored 30 goals in his career. He have Coburn to sign. Gagne and Carter come do quickly aswell. We have to fit in JVR and Giroux. The contracts of Hartnell, Lupul, Briere were ill advised. That is over 15 mill for non core players.
Briere is part of the core though. Hartnell and Lupul we could probably do without, but Briere was brought in to ease the offensive development of Carter and Richards. Richards took off in year 3 and Carter is taking off in year 4. Whether people want to admit it or not, we still need Briere. Everyone *****es and moans that he isn't a defensive player, but he wasn't brought in here for his defense. He was brought in because he can generate offense. I'll say it before and I'll say it again - there's nothing wrong with having a player who is all offense. It's almost like any player with offensive capability is a dirty thing in Philadelphia. People need to give it up and realize that "Flyer hockey" hasn't won a Stanley Cup in over 30 years. It's time to move on.

As for signing Coburn, not worried about that at all. His contract doesn't expire until after next season. By then, there will be more contracts coming off the books. As well, the Flyers are probably going to move a contract or two when Parent and Jones return. Once again, there's more money that will be freed up.

As for the cap, I keep hearing that it's going to go down to 48 million, but the only thing I've seen that is concrete is that the cap is going to drop from 56.7 million to 55 million. The Flyers are still in great shape financially with regards to the cap.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote