View Single Post
Old
11-26-2008, 07:51 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Mason played a great game, but also had luck on his side in a major way. There were three separate instances where even now, I can't figure out how the puck stayed out.

They had the book on Ellis in the shootout. I've kind of thought to myself, "slow down and deke to his glove side, it'll go in every time," and have wondered why more teams haven't caught on. Credit the Blues advance scouting, they had that one down.

I understood Peverley going out for the first shot, although I'm still confused as to why he waited for Mason to go down into the butterfly, and then proceeded to shoot the puck right at his closed-tight five-hole. I think he simply got frozen up, honestly.

Koistinen was a horrible choice for the shootout. Trotz is trying to squeeze blood from a stone in a fashion similar to the old Zidlicky shootout choice. Koistinen even admitted that his record in shootouts in Milwaukee was awful, and he was shocked that he was able to get one in the last go round. Why not at least give Erat that shot?

Really liked what I saw from Pihlstrom, and I think Trotz did too. he is FAST, was great on the forecheck, and had a few big hits. I think that line with Pihlstrom, Legwand and Ward was likely our best, tonight.

Power play probably had the best possesion of the year, but at the same time seemed to look like it did a few years ago, when the "SHOOOOT ITTT" cries would erupt as the Kariya\Sullivan backdoor was attempted over and over. Now it's repeatedly trying to set up Weber, and then having to start over when the lanes are closed.

It's hard to fault the guys in a game that set a record for shot differential (previous was 29, in a 5-1 loss to San Jose in 1999), but I'll admit it was a tough pill to swallow. Credit Mase though...he's one of the good guys, and I'm happy for him. I'd be happier if the shootout had gone differently, though.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote