View Single Post
Old
11-30-2008, 05:06 PM
BaseballCoach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
AGREED. Habs are in serious trouble if they're going into playoffs with Breezer and O'Byrne as #6 Dman. They need to be #7 and #8.

They badly need a seasoned canadian #4-5 calibre Dman who plays with grit and knows what it takes to win deep in playoffs, even Detroit did that last season picking up Stuart at deadline. Book it that Gainey will address this closer to deadline (due to cap constrictions at the moment).
You just described Komisarek, except for the experience deep in playoffs, and that he was born 400 miles south of the Canadian border.

People are fooled by the "pairing" idea. The fact is, our best defenceman is Markov, and our second best defenceman is Hamrlik, and both are LD, and thus they don't play together. This is fine because it means that we have one of the two on the ice about 46-49 minutes per game.

Our third best defenceman may well be Gorges. He is better at retrieving shoot-ins than Komisarek or any of the others not yet mentioned that we have. He also rarely makes gaffes. What is nice about Komi is his toughness, not only hitting, but blocking shots. (By the way, Gorges and Hamrlik block a lot of shots too, relative to the league average). On a team that doesn't have many hard hitters, Komisarek's importance is definitely magnified but he is not, IMO, a #2 D-man.

Bouillon is #5, and I'd rather ideally see him as #7. On the other hand, not many teams have a better #6 than Cube, so maybe I'm placing my hopes too high. But another #4/5 guy is just what we need, IMO. Breezer is certainly not that guy, I am pretty sure that Dandenault is NOT that guy and O'Byrne could BECOME that guy, so I don't mind if we try another 25 games to see where he is headed, and then make a deadline deal if necessary (which I think it will be - for this year).

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote