View Single Post
Old
11-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Superstar Shane

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I can't imagine keeping Gonch, Whitney, Letang, AND Gogo. One of those 4 has to go for multiple reasons...
They aren't going to trade any of them for multiple reasons. Gonchar might seem like the best one to trade since he's the oldest, but it won't happen. He has a no trade clause (I think) and would be crazy to waive it given the situation he finds himself in in Pittsburgh. And it would probably look bad to future free agents if we even ask him to waive it.

And they aren't going to trade any of the other 3 because they fall into the organization's long-term plans. Gonchar will probably be gone at the end of his contract, and if we've traded one of Whitney, Gogo, or Letang, that would leave us with only 2 offensive defensemen. We'd have effectively changed that aspect of our team from being a strength to being one injury away from a serious weakness. And we all know how Shero likes to plan for injuries when building his blueline.

I suppose the wildcard in this whole equation is Alex Grant. If he continues to develop into a real strong prospect, I could see them trading someone, but that's not going to happen until he's a lot closer to seeing NHL icetime (probably after Gonchar's gone).

Edit: One more comment about Gonchar. Contenders don't trade away cornerstones of their team because they're pending UFA's. Gonchar is not going to be traded. Period.

Superstar Shane is offline   Reply With Quote