View Single Post
Old
12-01-2008, 03:33 PM
jnthomas

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
No kidding, I guess Gainey wants fans to sweat it out. Either way I just it gets done, the sooner the better
I think its a little more complicated than that. A few players have expressed a desire to be resigned quickly before the end of the year. If you sign Komo, you need to look at least opening negotiations with those guys. Depending on how much money you give Komo, you might end up having to sign some of these guys simply to get decent results with them this year (i.e. a guy like Kovalev wants to be signed. Gainey says wait till the end of the season. Then BG turns around and signs Komo. How do you think Kovy takes it or even Saku.). I guess it comes down to morale.

BG also has to worry about the current economical situation. If he signs Komo and a few other players and the salary cap goes down, then he might be in some hot water come next season.

That being said. I think having too many UFAs is not helping either. People in general get nervous when they don't know where they are headed. Nervous people make mistakes since their concentration is not 100% on the task. I don't see how that would not happen to hockey players. So maybe signing some of these players would provide some much needed stability.

So all in all, I doubt its as easy as just "sign him now!".

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote