View Single Post
Old
07-18-2004, 09:53 AM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
I would take a firstround sweep-exit over Crosby... Playing decent hockey will mean so much for the players who are going to be on the team next year. Having good atmophere and attitude is what wins you hockey games. Not a Ovechkin or Crosby. If we donīt start building with the goal to be competetive rigth away, when are we? (not by signing free agents though) Lets say we get Crosby next year. It will still take 3-4 years before he really starts contributing. Having great players on your team is essential but not a gaurantee. If we tank this season what says that we will be able to pick it up once we have the stars in place? Look at Atlanta who has had Kovalchuk and Heatly for three years and is anything but a lock to become a contender in the near future... If we go the same route a la Ottawa, Quebec and Atlanta we could be in for another 7 years without making the POīs...
as much as i'd love to see playoff hockey at the Garden there's no way i take the 8th seed and a 4 game sweep over a prospect who could arguably become a legitimate superstar in the league for the next decade or more. i'm glad you gave the example of Atlanta. there's a team (albeit expansion) that stunk for a few years and repeatedly drafted high...now they have two young all stars and a great young goalie. their time at the bottom is over. they are about to become a legitimate contender. do you not think they will make the playoffs next year?