View Single Post
Old
12-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Joe Cole

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
They do have som eother correspondents, shows how ell I know them, a guy from NY, Washington and a media insider, along with Gagnon, but no real incisive interviews. I don't often think to put it on in my office, maybe to hear McKenzie but silence is growing on me.

It's pretty well taste though. Melnick interviewed Angelo Dundee and George Chuval last week, best radio I've heard in a while. He's in a class by himself doing interviews, but if someone wants a pure hockey show with line combinations arued about, it's the wrong show, more of a sports/music/lifestyles/citybeat sort of thing and frankly, that's more what I want to hear. I couldn't imagine the drudgery of 40 minutes of whether AK should play lw or rw.
To be clear, I was not talking about Melnyk, I was speaking about the morning show. I have listened to Melnyk since his days of the late night show, with the Miles Davis (or was it Coltrane...) intro. When he was a Tevan-ite. I will continue to listen to him. That said, his show has too much fluff too.

If you want to talk music/lifestyle/citybeat, well, do so. But have it sustained for more than one half hearted segment.

The morning show is a parade of segments which do not vary from day to day, and the same updates, over and over. When was the last time they had a GM of ANY sport on the show? A scout? An announcer from another city? A former pro player telling stories? They are in a rut.

CKAC has a local slant on every topic that makes it too homogenous, but their format is free-er flowing and varies from day to day. Plus, maybe they focus too much on Quebec born invitees who work in other areas, but at least they have invitees.

For me, CKAC either puts in more effort into there morning show, or they just get better results for their efforts. 990 seems like they are scrambling from one promotional event to the other to collect ad revenue in order to keep the lights on.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote