View Single Post
Old
07-19-2004, 03:50 PM
little a from da bx

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40
A popular debate on this board and around other NY Ramnger message boards is the idea to tank the season in an effort to draft Sidney Crosby in the upcoming draft. I, for one, cannot believe that some folks would suggest that. I think it is a ludicros idea and would be a disaster to attempt.

There are some people on this board who feel Sidney Crosby is the "next" one. He still may be. Wasn't there similar hype for Ovechkin and Kovalchuk? How about Eric Lindros? The Quebec Nordiques begged this man to change his mind and play and what happened? The Flyers (and Rangers) were willing to give up a ton for him.

Philadelphia Flyers traded Ron Hextall, Peter Forsberg, Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, Chris Simon, 1st round selection (Jocelyn Thibault) in 1993, 1st round selection (later traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs, later traded to the Washington Capitals - Nolan Baumgartner) in 1994 and cash to the Quebec Nordiques for Eric Lindros.

Eric Lindros never won the cup. He did make the team better but with his frequent head injuries and rumored locker room presence (negative), he never won the Cup. What about the "can't miss kid" Bobby Carpenter?

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/high.../sicovers.html

Feb. 23, 1981: "The Can't-Miss Kid -- Here's Bobby Carpenter. He's 17 and hails from Peabody, Mass. NHL scouts say he's the best U.S. prospect they've seen. Ever."

Carpenter became the first U.S. player to go right from high school to the NHL, and was the first U.S. player to score 50-plus goals in an NHL season, racking up 53 goals and 42 assists in 1984-85. He played 18 NHL seasons for the Capitals, Rangers, Kings, Bruins and Devils, compiling 728 points on 320 goals and 408 assists

Now, I understand that the fans want the Rangers to play so poorly that they position themselves to draft Crosby. This would be an unmitigated disaster. I know that most fans think that this year is a "rebuilding" year and we should go 0-84. If management has that attitude or even uttered that a thought, then I would be an angry fan. Whether it is Josef Balej, Jed Ortmeyer or Jaromir Jagr, Mike Dunham, etc. Those guys better prepare to try and win that game. In March 2003, management made a commitment to youth and purged most of the roster of veteran players that just didn't work. They bring in prospects and young players on the cusp of being NHL ready. There is absolutely no way that I want to instill any thoughts of tanking and losing games at a shot of bringing in a prospect. NHL prospects are just that until they prove otherwise. Whoever drafts Sidney Crosby is going to wil the cup 15-19 years in a row? If we happen to get the number 1 pick and draft Crosby, great. If there is an NHL season, then every game, the Rangers (including Holik, Jagr, Poti, Rachunek, Balej, Pock, Tyutin, Wolfpack call-up, etc.) better play that game to win.

If Renney, Sather, and Maloney have a plan to tank the season just to get Crosby, the Rangers may never make the playoffs again.
just curious with all that what is your point those articles do not have anything to do with tanking the season, this team is going to los no matter what and i would love crosby here, if not then brule. i wouldnt mind a losing season for a while especially to get a kid like one of those 2 . which we willprobably be in the spot to get.. what dont u get we have no #1 center crosby is what nyr needs....

thornton- boston
tb- ricards and lecalviaer
nash- zherdev and nash
ottawa- spezza
atl- kovalckuk and heatley
nyr- NOTHING ( unless we get crosby then it would look like this
nyr- crosby

thats alot better looking for us we need top line offensive talent that is all.... and u say a 84 game season in your quote " this year is a "rebuilding" year and we should go 0-84. "<~~~~~~~~~~~, since when i thought it was a 82 game season...... not 84 so your comments concern me since u dont really know how many games are in a season...