View Single Post
Old
12-06-2008, 04:35 AM
hfboardsuser

vCash: 500
Nick Ross Game Report

Greetings Yotes fans. I scouted the Edmonton Oil Kings/Kamloops Blazers game last night. While I wasn't there to see Ross, I couldn't help but notice him.

From my notes:

-Above-average acceleration, but lacks an elite top-end gear. Loved to head-man the puck up ice to start the attack.

-Probably too good for the WHL when it comes to offensive awareness; made a couple of 'million-dollar' plays that proved it. On one, the Blazers were on the powerplay, and weren't having much luck setting up. The Kings failed to clear it, and Ross picked it up on the left point. He walked the blueline to center-point, and made a gorgeous curl-and-drag to elude a diving poke-check. It was just perfectly timed.

-On another fantastic play, he was caught alone below his goal-line. Instead of retreating or throwing it away, he performed a reverse-deke- by stickhandling to his left, he lured the forechecker to that side. He then pulled it to his right, causing the forechecker to stop and think. Ross used that split second to back up and create a lane for an outlet pass.

-Ross' importance was never more apparent than on a penalty kill early in the third. Down by a goal, the Blazers knew they couldn't allow another. Ross stayed out for the entire thing even as everyone else changed. He then stayed out for an additional minute, and sparked a rush.

For the record, the scored finished 3-2 Edmonton, and Ross was pointless. However, he was a +1, and probably deserved a star. By my estimation, he played a good 35 minutes.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote