Thread: Zack Kassian
View Single Post
Old
12-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
Can someone give me a scouting report on this guy? I noticed he has been considered as a top 10 pick who will likely be picked around 15. I was wondering if he is as good as his stats this year imply because his stats from the season before make it look like that he was a completely different player last season
Don't pay too much attention to the statistics of 16-year-old major junior players. Some get more playing time than others and more get opportunities. Also, it's a big adjustment and it takes some kids a full year to get used to the faster pace of play.

Loves to throw body checks. Loves to fight and is good at it. Not afraid of anyone. Dropped the gloves with Richard Greenop of Windsor last week and although it wasn't much of a fight, it shows Kassian won't back down from anyone. He has a mean streak, too.

He's a good playmaker and has a good shot. He's the prototypical power forward, the old-fashioned kind that doesn't come along very much anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glucker View Post
I'm pretty sure there are other threads about him, from what I've read, a better version of Lucic
He's certainly doing better at the age of 17 than Lucic did, but I'm not sure we can say for sure that Kassian will be better than Lucic. One thing that sets Lucic apart is his work ethic. As was mentioned in a recent feature on him in The Hockey News, Lucic's work ethic is unparalleled. He made himself the player he is today.

Kassian has more natural ability than Lucic does, but he has a lot of work to do before he accomplish in the NHL what Lucic has.

I'm not betting against him or anything, just saying, it's an even bigger step to the NHL from junior than it is from midget to junior. You've got to put the effort in.

Ryan Van Horne is offline   Reply With Quote