View Single Post
Old
12-09-2008, 03:11 PM
hlrsr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Thing is, Bulis was only a 3rd liner before so I'd question whether there was any reason he would be a top 6 player from just having increased playing time. Sure he got 20 goals in the 2005/06 - but something like 4 of those goals came from one game. He was as big a question mark as Pyatt that year with respect to being a top six forward (though at least he was more proven as a solid 3rd liner than Pyatt at the time).
No doubt Bulis was a risk, but this was a team with limited cap space and very little tradeable assets. Throwing $1.3M on a guy who could looked like he could potentially break out as a top6 forward (20G-20A as a 3rd liner) and still played a good 2-way game made sense for this team.

Either way, the team was in a significant transition from the WCE era. All the right players aren't necessarily going to be available for us immediately. To say Nonis should have addressed the goaltending (as he did), the defense (as he did), AND build a potent offense is saying he should have built a contender in one offseason from the mess that was the WCE team. I think those expectations are a little high.

Quote:
Unless I'm mistaken - the Oilers had a ton of injuries on the blueline that season. Not having an AHL affliate that year didn't help matters. Same impact on the offense as when the Canucks suffered a bunch of injuries to the blueline last season.
Are you trying to say their offense wasn't as bad as it was made out to be?

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote