Old
12-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
I voted no, 350/7.5
because I just don't think it's feasible for many of the reasons listed before.

Those who think the Habs have more fans in Quebec than the rest of the world are out to lunch.

Population of Canada and the US is nearly 350 million, Quebec is 7.5 million.

10% of the population in Quebec is English, 80% is French.

That leaves a differential of 70%. I'm assuming half the people in Quebec are hockey fans (I think it's a pretty generous estimate). Let's assume 80% of those are Habs fans.

That leaves you with just over 2 million more French Habs fans than English Habs fans in Quebec.

In the rest of Canada alone, there are probably nearly 2 million Habs fans.

You might not realize it, but there are a ton of Habs fans everywhere. Northern Ontario is littered with Habs fans as are Saskatchewan and Manitoba. The Toronto region has a large number of Habs fans as well (percentage-wise, maybe not, but Toronto is a huge city).

The US is also HUGE in comparison to Canada and Quebec. There may be a low percentage of hockey fans out there, but the total number of hockey fans is still very significant.

The Habs were the NHL franchise for a number of years, so many hockey fans cheered for them during those years. And although there has been expansion in recent years, people don't just change teams because there's a city nearby that has a hockey team.
Parents pass their favorite team onto their children as well.

The reason RDS is in french and not english is because it would cost too much for them to try and reach all of those Habs fans as they are not as concentrated in the rest of the world as they are in Quebec.
You are forgetting about Europeen fans of the Habs, who are majorily French and they are quite more significant than what you will find in the States. They do get RDS (redistributed), they do ever since the begining of last season. If the fanbase in English was significant out of Quebec, somebody would've tried to cash in on this.