Old
12-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
waffledave is only speculating.

Bettman, just yesterday said that there was a growth in revenues, in the 1st quarter of the season. Attendance are also up.

If at the end of the season, revenues are higher than the year before, they have no choice but to raise the cap, per the CBA.

If at the end of the season, revenues are lower than the year before, part of the escrow accounts will be given back to the league so that player's total salaries will correspond to 57% of total revenues, and in the case of a big drop of the total revenues compared to the previous season, they will have to agree with the players to take out a bigger % of player's salaries to be put into escrow accounts, and keep the cap at the same amount as the season before. Also note that the escrow % is revised 3 times in the season, and once at the end of the season when the financial numbers are in.

The cap doesn't go down, ever. Unless there is an extreme condition and an agreement is done between the two parties (NHL and NHLPA). In this case, player's salaries will be cut in a percentage equal to the difference that would put the total of player's salaries to 56% of total revenues at the end of year, cut equally with the appropriate corresponding % among players.

It's all there in the CBA, article 49. Long read.

http://www.nhl.com/cba/2005-CBA.pdf
Thanks Oz, sadly in my spare time I've read that. I'm a bit of a hockey nerd.

I'm just going by the report I heard/saw on TSN last night. Not from any real source, such as Bettman or any other NHL rep. They felt that with the economy slowing down, it will affect the last 3 quarters in a negative way. Making this years profits, lower than last year. It was only their opinion, it wasn't backed by concrete evidence.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote